Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

D&D 4e is Old School! Kewl!!

Check out this blog entry from Xeveninti

http://xeveninti.blogspot.com/2008/12/ramblings-about-pathfinder-vs-4e.html

Yeah, it's from 2008, but it's a kewl thought nonetheless. Actually I've heard this mentioned from other old timers who have switched over to 4e as well. Kind of makes me wonder if others think the same way. What do you all think? Let me know if 4e is old school to your way of thinking.

For me 4e has an appeal that seems to be winning out in many respects over other systems designed to "carry the torch". Yeah 4e is a reaction to 3.5 as much as it is a redesign that hearkens back to older ways of doing things, but perhaps that reaction was exactly what was needed. From rule overload to simplicity. There's more to say about this of course, but give Xeveninti a read and let me know what you think.

-- Chris

1 comment:

  1. Well, no comments on this little claim eh? I thought it would stir things up for sure. What with all the strong opinions on 4e out there. So, okay, I'll tell you what I really think: it's bunk. There's no way 4e is "old school". there are many reasons why, but I'll just give one. Melting of archetypes. The class structure is more fixed than say third, but less distinct in and of itself. We are dealing with cookie cutter molds all based around a very narrowly defined combat system. A system with little implied in the way of spontaneity. But now I'm getting off into reason two -- so I'll stop there and see if anyone else agrees.

    ReplyDelete