Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

OSRIC and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

I've been having an interesting conversation on the Knights and Knaves forum about some angst I've been having lately.

Suffice it to say my "little project" isn't going as well as I had planned. I got alot done over the weekend, but then I stalled. And the stall dealt with two main things.

1) What the hell am I doing?

2) Why the hell am I doing it?

Yeah, they're pretty big issues. I geuss to put it in a nutshell I'm wondering why I'm trying to cover the same ground covered better by those before me--Stuart Marshall et al. And as I tried to explain myself I waxed quite nostalgic about the old days, Gary Gygax, TSR and the like. I miss it and I want it back. So I stay old school, keep playing with my old books and continue to struggle with the feeling that I am a lone soldier waging a losing battle in trying to preserve a past doomed to fade away.

Can it be recaptured? If I want to play 1e I have to play with out of print books made by a defunct company, by a man who now rests in peace. Why do I feel like this is an unsatisfatory state of affairs? And more importantly, what do I do about it?

The Knights of the Dinner Table still have it, why can't I?

*sigh*

Thing is, as I read the last KODT issues I had the sneaking suspicion that they were changing slightly to market their new version o the game, not preserve the old flame. They feel their version does that--and I can't quite get on board with it.

I need to ruminate. Laterz--

No comments:

Post a Comment