Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2021

TTRPG Nostalgia

I don't know what it is, but I'm here again. This place I get to time and again when I feel overwhelmingly like my D&D is lost. Why do I feel this way? Is it just nostalgia? Or is it something more?

I have been doing some reading along with my soul searching lately and have come to find quite a bit online about gaming related nostalgia. Almost all of it is about video game nostalgia, but I think alot of it applies equally well to TTRPGs. One thing in particular stuck out. Nostalgia for video games tend to be so powerful because we invested so much emotional energy in them. We might be nostalgic for music, for a style of dress or even a movie. But we could spend hours and hours on a game. Sound familiar? Clearly I am very nostalgic for TSR era D&D because I spent almost every available moment, thinking about it, drawing, writing, mapping, reading, talking and certainly playing the game and every thing associated with it. 

I have teased before that D&D is my religion more than my hobby. I suppose, inasmuch as religion defines us from before to after birth and throughout our life, D&D does that as much for me as my religion does. Of course that's hyperbole. I just saw this old ad, and it brought back a wave of nostalgia for something that I wish could be recaptured ...

No comments:

Post a Comment